Thursday, December 22, 2011

Fruit Basket Upset!


Fruit, let’s move beyond the fructose controversy and call it delicious.  It may not be the perfect choice for everyone and should NEVER replace vegetables, but enjoying some fruit every once and awhile is okay!  Now, if the only fruits that have passed your lips in the past month are apples, bananas, and oranges – it’s definitely time to “upset your fruit basket”.  And, there’s no time like now to get started!  Why?  December is National Exotic Fruit Month!  Take a trip to the grocery store and check out some of the ‘crazy’, nutrient packed options that you’ve never heard of - let alone tasted.  I’m not talking about switching from red apples to green apples here – get wild!!  Every time you shop make it a goal to try a new fruit and while you’re at it throw in a vegetable that doesn’t start with ‘brocc’ and end with ‘oli’… 

Throw a party for your taste buds with some of these options:

Vegetables:
Kohlrabi, arugula, jicama, rutabaga, diakon radish, delicata squash, okra, beets, turnips, mushrooms, artichoke, endive, asparagus, bok choy, yucca…
For more ideas check out the Vegetable Database

Fruits:
Kumquat, pummelo, star fruit, guava, ugli fruit, pomegranate, lychee, cherimoya, casaba melon, persimmon, figs, loganberries, jackfruit, kiwi, plantain, pineapple, blood oranges, mango, passion fruit… 
For more ideas head to the Fruit Database

What's in your cart this week?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, I just 'found' you through your article on Rob Wolf's blog. I came over here to get more information on you. I also live in SD and I also graduated from CSU with a masters degree, but in Exercise Sport Science. Loren Cordain was one of my professors, but this was 20 years ago and he was not teaching Paleo principles to his students at that time. I am new to the Paleo way, but I am a believer. I have celiac and a host of autoimmune disorders. I had been on a gluten-free diet for about 6 years with no improvement, when I learned about SCD and GAPs. These led me to someone in the Paleo world and now I am trying to learn all I can. Do you ever have speaking engagements west river? I would love to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just found your blog, very good stuff! I have been transitioning to a paleo diet for the last 6 months (quietly, haha, still experimenting!), and I am currently a dietetics student!
    This is a great post, I love trying new veggies! The fruits though...my partner used to be allergic to most fruits (skin rashes, eczema), so he still finds most of them too strong flavoured! It seems crazy, but he is so grossed out by mangos, pineapple, oranges...he will only eat bananas and apples. Sometimes I add mangoes to our curry or pineapple to salads, and he hasn't noticed so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I love your information. I'm actualy looking to start a family health camp and part of the program is food/nutrition education. I wanted to talk to you about designing a prgram for kids and families and what that may look like. I've left a ton of details out but I'd love to chat with you, please email me if you can or are interested: ankit@theleanwayconsulting.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy, I just clicked through from Robb Wolfs blog.. waiting for some website pics to copy to the server and um... surfing the net.
    I have a garden that has gone completely nuts with BEETS at the mo. I don't even know what to do with a beet except grate it into a salad. I shall consult Dr Google and see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I understand that jicama is a tuberculous and it has a lot of starch in it. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your interview on the Training Bible podcast. In the program, you mentioned something about avoiding potato skins. Does that go for sweet potatoes too? Should I peel off sweet potato skin before consuming? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never read such Nike Free 3.0 V2 Womens Leather a excellent article and I am coming back tomorrow to continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm real confused, I've read your older posts and thinking about what we are told to eat, there's some conflicting evidence from both sides about grains. I'm siding more with you, is it a bad thing to go in moderations? I'm not into wheat so much as like bulgar and couscous, rye, barley, and I eat flax. Am I defeating any purpose there?

    ReplyDelete